Through the Smiles for Kids program, the Delta Dental Foundation provides grants to nonprofit organizations throughout North Carolina to help fund dental education initiatives and programs designed to promote children’s oral health, especially to those in underserved areas. 82 nonprofit organizations have received grants in 52 North Carolina counties.
Since 2011, the Smiles for Kids program has awarded nearly $758,000 to programs across the state, ensuring that more than 467,000 children and their families received access to oral health care or education.
In considering grants, the Delta Dental Foundation evaluates each application on its own merits. Of particular interest are programs designed to promote/improve the oral health of underserved or at-risk populations and to those which have an oral health education component.
The Delta Dental Foundation considers the programs in which the organization is engaged, the constituencies it serves, the services it offers, its accountability and its fundraising practices, and the level of local community support it attracts.
Although exceptions may be made, in general, grants are not provided for building construction or to cover an organization’s normal overhead expenses. Primary consideration is given to supporting meritorious programs or activities for which other sources of funding are unavailable. Grant recipients may reapply in future years, as long as a report detailing use/impact of the grant monies is provided with the application.
- The Smiles for Kids grants program is limited to a maximum of $5,000 per grant.
- Grants must be dedicated to local nonprofit programs designed to promote oral health in North Carolina.
- Only one proposal per organization per year will be considered.
- 4 Point 0: Mobile Learning Clinic, Inc.
- America’s ToothFairy: National Children’s Oral Health Foundation
- Blue Ridge Mountains Health Project, Inc.
- Carteret County Health Department
- Clay County Hearts for Kids & Seniors
- County of Yadkin
- Cumberland County Department of Public Health
- Dental Foundation of North Carolina, Inc.
- Discovery Place Huntersville
- Duplin County Health Department
- Durham County Department of Public Health
- East Carolina University
- FirstHealth of the Carolinas
- Goshen Medical Center, Inc.
- Graham County Dental Clinic
- Guilford County Division of Public Health Dental Clinic
- Guilford County Division of Public Health
- Haywood County Health and Human Services
- Hertford County Public Library
- High Country Community Health
- Mecklenburg County Public Health Department
- Montgomery County Department of Health
- North Carolina Dental Society Foundation
- North Carolina State University/Upper Coastal Plain Learning Council
- Onslow County Partnership for Children
- Orange County Health Department Dental Clinic
- Piedmont Health
- Cabarrus Health Alliance
- Raleigh-Wake Dental Society
- Rowan County Department of Public Health
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina
- SOAR Outreach
- The Alice Aycock Poe Center for Health Education
- Transylvania Public Health
- Union County Department of Public Health
- Wake County Health and Human Services Dental Clinic
- Wilkes Public Health Dental Clinic
- YMCA of the Triangle Area, Inc.
For more information about the Delta Dental Foundation's Grants